Beautiful Carved Red Cinnabar Fish Pendant Bead
Made In China
25mm Long, 19mm Wide, 8mm Thick
One Pendant Bead
- Very unusual Chinese style fish shape with relief carvings.
- Cinnabar beads are beautiful as a contrast to (for instance) black onyx beads in a necklace.
- Intricate Chinese carving on both sides of beads.
- All modern Cinnabar is either resin painted on wood, or solid resin. Our Cinnabar is solid resin. Please see our notes at bottom of listing for the full story.
- Measurements: 25mm along string, 19mm wide (at widest point,) 8mm thick. Drilled from nose to tail as shown in photo. Hole is approximately 2mm in diameter. No two beads exactly alike in color or size. All measurements approximate, may vary by 1-2 millimeters.
- One Cinnabar Fish pendant bead.
Cinnabar was developed in China as a coating on lacquerware to give wood a beautiful opaque red color. It was originally composed of highly toxic Red Mercury Sulfide. True Cinnabar can no longer be made because it is extremely dangerous. In the modern jewelry industry, the toxic pigment is replaced by a resin-based polymer that approximates the appearance of pigmented lacquer. This is sometimes called "imitation" cinnabar, but it is actually the only cinnabar you will find on the market today.