Audio Transcript (partial):
- Hi, this is Megan with Beadaholique and today, I'm going to show you how to do a basic four strand round braid using flat faux-suede cord. This does take up quite a bit of the cord. You are going to want to have extra length for what you're wanting to do. You might need to experiment and see how much length you lose to find out how much you will need. What you're going to do is take four pieces of a flat cord, I have this microfiber faux-Ultrasuede, and tie them together in an overhand knot.
- I'm using four colors just so that you can keep track of which strand is which, but of course, you can use all one color like I did in this braid here or you can use just two colors, it's up to you. You're going to need a way to secure your cord to your work surface. You can use a safety pin and put it on the leg of your pants like you do with friendship bracelets, you can keep the ends looped if you're using one or two colors and put it on a hook. I'm just going to tape it to my table.
- This braid is pretty simple. Go ahead and separate your strands. Okay, now you're going to take the left-most braid and you're going to bring it around the middle two and then through the center of them. Then you're going to take the right-most braid and bring it around the middle two and then through the center of them. When you're going to bring these around since you want to create a round braid and not a flat braid, make sure that you actually wrap the flat part around and create that tube-like shape.
- Those are the only two steps, so you're just going to repeat. You're going to take the left-most strand and bring it over one shy of the end and like I said, wrap it around so that you're going to get a nice shape on that. You're going to bring it back between those two and pull it tight. I'm actually going to move this to the edge more so that we could get a better angle.
- Okay, then you take the right piece and you bring it back around the middle two and then between them and pull that tight. The first length is going to look kind of wonky, so you'll go ahead and you'll just cut that off later, don't worry about it. Take your left-most piece and bring it around the middle two and then between them. You can start to see it kind of looking the way that it's supposed to look.
- Right-most piece over the middle two and then between them. Again, make sure that you're getting that twisted around so that it should go in a total spiral. Every piece. Two should go this way, two should go this way. Left piece back behind the middle two and then over. Right piece behind and over. If you forget which side you're on, you're just going to start with the one that's slightly above.
|Technique||Braiding & Knotting|