- Hi. This Meagan with Beadaholique. Today I'm going to show you how to make a macrame style square knot. This is the most basic of the macrame knots. You can use it for all kinds of applications, including the really popular Shambhala style bracelets that are around right now.
- You can use any kind of corder string to make the knot. I'm using a waxed cotton cord, and I'm using two different colors just so you can keep track of the core center strand, and then the outside strands. When you start, you're going to take all three of your strands, and make an overhand knot in the top, just to hold them together. Don't pull it too tight, because you will undo that at the end for finishing your work. When you knot these types of knots, you're always going to have one strand of your cord that runs down the center, and then two that run down the outside. These are the ones you're going to knot, the outside ones.
- What you do, is you're going to take the left cord and place it over the center cord. Then take the right cord and place it over the left cord. Pull it under the center cord and through the left loop. One way to remember it is it's over, over, under, through. You pull it tight. Pull on both sides of your outside cord evenly, and make sure that you also bring some tension on the middle cord so that it doesn't get bunched up.
- Then to make your knot square so that it lines up nice and flat, you're going to do the opposite for the second half the knot. You're going to take the left cord under the center cord, the right cord under the left cord, bring it over the center and through the left loop. Just like the first half was over, over, under, through; this one is under, under, over, through. I will sit there and say that to myself as I do it. It helps you keep track of it in your head, whatever works.
- Go ahead and pull it tight. You can see if that shape right there under the overhand knot, that's what the square knot looks like. If you just keep going, over, over, under, through. Then under, and bring that one under the left, over the center, through the loop, and pull it tight. As you can see, what it ends up doing is forming this nice uniform, flat, wide, band, like a knotted braid. You can make bracelets out of just the knotting, or in the Shambhala style bracelets, you take a bead, and it can be any kind of bead. The pave style beads are really popular. This is a Beadelle pave style bead. You just want to make sure when you're choosing beads that you choose a bead with a large enough hole to fit over your cord.
- To insert a bead, you just thread the bead onto your center strand, and then you're going to make the knot just like you did up here, but below the bead. Make sure your bead is all the way up. Pull the bead all the way up, take the left strand, and bring it over the center strand below the bead. Bring the right strand over the left strand, under the center strand and through the loop. Then just pull it tight with the side strands going to either side of the bead. When you do the second half of the square knot, going under, under, over and through, it will kind of lock it in place. That's how you put a bead on there.
|Technique||Braiding & Knotting, Macrame|