Audio Transcript (partial):
- Hi, this is Megan with Beadaholique and today, I'm going to show you how to make a macrame sliding knot clasp. It's a really good way to finish a macrame bracelet like a Shambhala bracelet or just a good adjustable way to finish any kind of corded work. You can see how to do a macrame square knot in another video and if you don't know how to do that, go ahead and watch that video first 'How to Make a Macrame Square Knot'.
- This is going to be using the same principles as that. It's going to be made with square knots. What you'll do is you'll basically have your work and you'll take the ends of your work and loop them around and have both ends parallel to each other just like that. Then you're going to take another strand of cord, and I'm using waxed cotton cord. You can use any kind of cord that you want for this style of macrame knotting and you'll just use the same cord that you used for the body of the bracelet.
- When I'm going to make my sliding knot clasp, I'm going to take ... you probably want a little over a foot length for your knot clasp. Just go ahead and put it inside the bracelet loop right at about at the middle so that you have half of it on either side. Then you're going to tie a few square knots in that ... The number of knots that you put in your sliding knot clasp will depend on how wide you want the clasp to be. I would say you probably want to do two or three square knots just to have your clasp nice and stable, but you can make it wider if you like.
- The important part is to make sure that while you're pulling your knots relatively tight to make them uniform, you want to still be able to pull on the ends of your center cord and move that around so that you can adjust the bracelet. I'm going to go ahead and just do three square knots on this clasp. Then you would finish off your clasp just the same way that you would any other macrame knotting. You can see how to do that on the video 'How to Finish Off Macrame Knotting'.
- Once you finish that off, you'll see that you can pull on the ends of the center cord of the bracelet to make it smaller or larger. You can also pull it open to put it on and then pull on the ends to have it more fitted around your wrist. Once you finish off the knot, that is going to be what your sliding knot clasp looks like.
|Technique||Braiding & Knotting, Macrame|